Volgograd State Socio-Pedagogical University is one of the leading pedagogical universities in the country. It successfully trains pedagogical staff for the Volgograd region, Southern Federal District, Russian Federation and some foreign countries.
Its history started on May 22nd 1931, when the Council of People's Comissars decided to establish an industrial and pedagogical institute in Stalingrad. On October 1st, 1931 the first admission of 120 people took place, in 1935 – the first class of 100 teachers successfully graduated. In prewar years the Institute was quickly gaining popularity providing teachers for Volgograd schools.
In 1949 the institute was named after A.S. Serafimovich, a famous Soviet writer.
In 1981 the Decree of Supreme Soviet of USSR awarded Volgograd State Pedagogical Institute named after A.S. Serafimovich with the Badge of Honor Order for its contribution to the development of education and high achievement in teacher training.
In October 1992 by the order of the Russian Federation Government the Institute became the first one in the country to be modified into a State Pedagogical University.
In 2011 the university was renamed into Federal State Budget-Financed Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education "Volgograd State Socio-Pedagogical University" ("VSSPU").
Nowadays the University is an important educational, scientific and cultural center realizing different educational programs for about 10500 students.
VSSPU traditions, structure and organization have created a strong educational, scientific and cultural complex with dynamic internal and external ties. In the official rankings of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation VSSPU is one of the leading universities among pedagogical and linguistic institutions.